I've been asked to be a guest on The Marilu Henner Show on Monday, February 15 at 2:15 ET. We'll be discussing female hair loss, including causes, new treatments, and preventative tips.
You can listen to the interview via local affiliates, or via live stream, at www.MariluShow.com.
About Female Hair Loss
- More than half of all women over 40 experience hair loss.
- Women can inherit a ‘hair loss gene,’ just like men.
- Hair loss occurs differently in women than in men - i.e., “thinning.”
- Iron and protein deficiencies are among the most common nutritional triggers for unhealthy hair, while vitamins, especially B, are important to the overall health of your hair and preventing hair loss and thinning.
- Female hair loss can be caused by hormonal changes, age, medications, genes, bad health, etc. It can also be a sign of a more serious illness like anemia, diabetes, autoimmune disease, or a thyroid condition, among others.
- There are special treatments for women: Rogaine For Women, PRP Cell Therapy, laser therapy, vitamin supplements, micro-surgical hair transplants and even Latisse (the Brooke Shields eyelash drug).
- A new genetic test can predict a woman’s risk of hair loss so they can begin preventative treatments early.
- Hair extensions and weaves are extremely harmful to the hair follicles. Because they add extra weight and pull on the hair strands, they can cause permanent damage - including a type of baldness called 'traction alopecia.'