Photo by PR Photos
Many women opt for shorter hairstyles and lighter color in the summer months, and celebrities are often the first to debut the new summer trends. Reese Witherspoon is the latest celeb to get a fresh summer look, chopping 4 or 5 inches off her signature blonde locks. While it is fun to experiment during the summer months, you also have to be careful to protect your hair from summer's elements!
Here are 6 ways to keep your hair healthy this summer.
- Shampoo & Conditioner - This is the first line of defense for your hair and can create a protective layer against environmental damage. Use a shampoo that is sulfate-free and has a deep cleanser - it should remove remove pollutants but not strip the hair of its essential oils. The conditioner should protect and lubricate the cuticle, so look for one with amino silicones and cationic surfactants.
- Protective Treatments - Sunscreen can be applied directly to the hair as a "sunblock" to protect its color. Applying lightweight silicone products to damp hair will protect against frizz while enhancing shine.
- Vitamins - Make sure your diet includes several key vitamins for your hair, like iron, zinc, biotin, selenium and B-12.
- Hair Supplements - Nutritional supplements like Viviscal will also boost the quality and growth factor of your hair, helping you in summer.
- Laser Treatment - Low level laser therapy is a great way to stimulate growth and thickness in the hair, and will help in summer months. There are several hand-held “laser brushes” available on the market, including Erchonia’s THL-1, Sunetics Laser Brush and the HairMax LaserComb.
- Avoid Damaging Activities - During hot summer months, be extra careful about these risk factors: pool chlorine, hair dye, blow dryers, curling and flat irons, straightening and over shampooing.